Today, we shine the spotlight on Jon Toussaint, who plays the role of the Perchik in our upcoming production of Fiddler on the Roof!
1. What made you audition for Fiddler on the Roof?
I love Fiddler on the Roof but I have never been in it before; Perchik is a role I have always wanted to play. Therefore I jumped at the opportunity to audition for this role at Hillbarn!
2. Have you performed at Hillbarn Theatre before?
Yes, this is my 3rd Hillbarn show! My first show here was Ragtime, back when I was much shorter and before my voice changed! I was also in Funny Girl last season. The Hillbarn community is so nice and welcoming, and I’m thrilled that I get to return for Fiddler!
3. What do you have in common with your character, Perchik?
Perchik and I are both very curious about the world and passionate about how we can make it a better place. Also like me, he is a young, driven student. These similarities make him a very fun character to play.
4. What should the audience look forward to in this show?
Audiences should look forward to being transported away to the village of Anatevka and experiencing a beautiful story that explores the ever-present conflict between tradition and modernity.
5. What do you think the audience will be discussing on their way home after seeing Fiddler On the Roof?
I hope the show causes audiences to reflect on their own values and traditions, specifically what they are willing to let go of as well as what they are willing to stand up for as the world continues to change.
6. When did you discover your love for the theatre?
When I was little, my grandma showed me The Sound of Music, and I fell in love! My parents started taking me to see musicals, and the rest is history!
7. What is your favorite and most memorable role you ever played? Why?
Last winter I had the exciting challenge of getting to play La Cienega in Bring It On: The Musical, which was a very different role from any I had ever played before. I had so much fun discovering a new side to myself and letting the process take me way out of my comfort zone.
8. What is one fact or fun thing that we don’t know about you?
I am very interested in American History—in fact, I have a large collection of socks featuring various historical figures and scenes from history!
Don’t miss your chance to see Jon Toussaint in Fiddler On the Roof, December 3 -20, at the historic Hillbarn Theatre in Foster City. https://www.hillbarntheatre.org