Today, we shine the spotlight on John-Elliott Kirk, who plays the role of the Teyve in our upcoming production of Fiddler on the Roof!
1. What do you have in common with your character, Teyve?
What I share with Tevye is a love for my family and a belief in something greater than myself.
2. What made you audition for Fiddler on the Roof?
A phone call from Dan Demers asking me if I was interested in auditioning. I had beenrecommended to him by another director.
3. What should the audience look forward to in this show?
Our audiences should look forward to a powerful story being told with integrity. They willbe taken on an emotional roller coaster ride, ﬂeshed out with humor and wonderful music. Also, they will have a rare opportunity to be regaled by a lovely 11 piece orchestra!
4. What do you think the audience will be discussing on their way home after seeing Fiddler On the Roof?
Hopefully, the ways that this story still speaks to us in the present. The plight of the citizens of Anatevka is frightfully close to the real refugee crisis that the world is experiencing today.
5. When did you discover your love for the theatre?
The ﬁrst musical I recall seeing live was “South Paciﬁc” at a local high school, when I was in ﬁrst grade. I quickly learned “Dites-Moi” and performed it with a classmate in the second grade. After that, I found myself playing a workhouse boy in a production of“Oliver!” and the rest, as they say…
6. What is your favorite and most memorable role you ever played? Why?
Why Tevye, of course! I ﬁrst “met” Tevye in my sophomore year in college. It is a privilege to revisit this role in a more “age-appropriate” time. At any age, Tevye is a dream role to play. A mitzvah, if you will.
7. If you could pick one actor/actress on Broadway to perform with, who would it be?Why?
Bette Midler. Because she is awesome.
8. What is one thing you are incredibly proud of?
I am incredibly proud of the fact that I have raised nearly $20K in the ﬁght against AIDS over the past two years, by riding my bicycle from San Francisco to Los Angeles -twice! And I will continue to do this until there is an end to AIDS.
9. What is one fact or fun thing that we don’t know about you?
Fun? Um….well, I crochet stuff….
Don’t miss your chance to see John-Elliott Kirk in Fiddler On the Roof, December 3 -20, at the historic Hillbarn Theatre in Foster City. Buy tickets today! www.hillbarntheatre.org