MEET THE CAST:
Today, we shine the spotlight on Courtney Hatcher, who plays the role of Logainne Shwartzandgrubennier, in our production of 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee!
Courtney is thrilled to be returning to Hillbarn where she was last seen as Janet Van de Graaff in THE DROWSEY CHAPERONE. Somepast favorite roles include: Elle Wood in LEGALLY BLONDE, Amber Von Tussle in HAIRSPRAY, Mary Lane in REEFER MADNESS THE MUSICAL, Cindy Lou Huffington in THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES and THE WINTER WONDERETTES. Next up, Courtney will be playing Gliroa in BOEING BOEING at San Jose Stage Company. Courtney has a B.A. in Musical Theatre from CSU Chico.
1. You play the role of the Logainne Schwartzandgrubennier, what if anything, do you have in common with your character?
The thing that I love about this show is that all of the characters have characteristics and qualities that people can really relate to. That’s what makes the characters interesting. I can definitely relate to Logainne- who is under constant pressure by her two fathers to succeed in everything she does. Granted- my level of anxiety isn’t quite at her level, but I feel pressure to do well too!
2. What made you audition for 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee?
I had wanted to do this show for a while… and after seeing the audition notice as well as the creative team behind it, I knew that I had to audition!
3. Have you worked with Hillbarn Theatre before? If so, what show(s)?
Yes! Once before… In 2011 I played Janet van de Graaf in The Drowsy Chaperone.
4. What do you think the audience will be discussing on their way home after seeing 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee?
Hopefully how funny we are and how they can now drink in the theatre?
5. When did you discover your love for the theatre?
I was 8 years old and my mom asked me if I wanted to audition for a Christmas play called “Season of Giving”. I played an elf. I’ve been hooked ever since.
7. What is your favorite and most memorable role you ever played? Why?
That is a REALLY tough question. It is really fun to develop a character and make it your own. Whether it be one that is on your bucket list (Elle in Legally Blonde The Musical), or if it is something against your type (Wednesday in Addams Family The Musical). I learn and grow from every show, which is the beauty of it.
8. Do you have any unusual rituals you do before curtain call?
Nothing really “unusual”… Various warm up routines. Every show and every role is different. So a role may influence how I prepare.
9. What is one fact or fun thing that we don’t know about you?
I do princess parties as a weekend job. I dress up as Ariel, Elsa, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty. 🙂
Don’t miss your chance to see Courtney Hatcher in 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee January 21 – Feb 7th, at the historic Hillbarn Theatre in Foster City. Tickets available at hillbarntheatre.org